Handling the crime principles can be used in the citys governance to reduce the crime rate. The basic principles of city crime prevention are:
1) First principle of crime prevention is target hardening. By target hardening it is meant that all the crime targets are made more resistant against theft. For example fitting better screens, windows and locks make the theft harder.
2) Removing the target temporarily or permanently if needed. These issues should be thought in advance when designing the infrastructure of new neighborhoods.
3) Removing the means to commit a crime by promoting good work and management practices. For example following strict practices on consturction sites.
4) Reducing the payoff the theft, for example safe and time locks, replicas etc.
5) Controling the access of personell to building or parts of sites.
6) Natural, formal and employee surveillance. Naturall surveillance should be maximized by the residents, increasing usage of neighbourhood watch, business watch).
7) Keeping the crime prevention in mind when planning environmental design, for example increasing pedestrianisation in the shopping districts of the city etc
8) In legistelation rue setting, bylaws, code of conduct
9) Increase the chance of being caught
10) Deflecting Offenders
Read a case stydy concernig the police practices and policies in the New York City